Since 2007, our team of English, French and Spanish translators specialised in sport have been working behind the scenes of the race’s official web site Dakar.com for millions of visitors every day.
It’s that time of the year again —when Colingua Sports translators tell millions of faithful readers all about the accomplishments and setbacks of competitors taking part in the Dakar Rally, which is being held in Saudi Arabia this year.
14 and counting! This season sees the 14th Dakar start of a very special category of participants: the translators of the official content of the toughest rally raid in the world, which is organized by A.S.O. The Dakar has become a fine tradition for Colingua translators, who have once again earned the trust of the organizers of the former Paris–Dakar. The rally has evolved and expanded since it came to Saudi Arabia. Year after year, our translation company specializing in sports translations has adapted to changes in the race and the way we use technology to fulfill the expectations of a client with a growing and increasingly passionate following.
Colingua translators do the lion’s share of their work on the official event website (http://www.dakar.com), where they translate live race updates and many behind-the-scenes texts in English and Spanish, but they are also involved with most of the content on the mobile app.
Colingua Translations has built on its Dakar experience over the years to become the industry standard in sports translation (with a portfolio including fifteen professional cycling races, marathons, half marathons, etc.), particularly in the world of motor sports, where it has provided translation services to other internationally renowned rallies such as the Merzouga Rally (Morocco, 2016, 2017 and 2018), the Desafío Inca (Peru, 2013, 2014, 2018 and 2019), the Central Europe Rally (2008) and the Silk Way Rally (Russia, 2009, 2010 and 2011).
Overview of services provided during the 2020 Dakar:
– Translated languages: French, English and Spanish
– Estimated working time over the duration of the rally (15 days): > 350 hours
– Translation services available around the clock every day of the event
Colingua and the Dakar, a shared history:
– First participation in 2007 (Lisbon–Dakar)
– 14th consecutive participation in 2020
– Languages translated on Dakar.com since 2007: French, English, Spanish, German, European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese
– 365 days a year: the communications requirements of a world-class event like the Dakar stretch far beyond the 2 weeks of racing in Saudi Arabia. Colingua Translations is there for ASO’s translation requirements every day of the year.
The Dakar in figures (2019, source A.S.O.)
- TV coverage in 190 countries, with a total of 70 channels including NBC Sports
- 1.900 accredited journalists
- 1,200 hours of TV broadcast
- Over 9 million visits on the official website www.dakar.com translated by Colingua
- Over 5 million visits on the official app translated by Colingua
- Over 3.5 million fans on Facebook