When an interpreting booth is not available or when our clients need “simultaneous translation” during a visit to company facilities or to accompany a delegation, our conference interpreters use a mobile Sennheiser kit, also called “tour guide” or “infoport“. The system is similar to those used by tour guides, hence the use of the term sometimes.
Advantages of infoport
1. Acase contains 20 receivers and 1 microphone.
2. The equipment works without the case because the receivers directly capture the signal emitted by the microphone. The case only serves to transport the material and charge the equipment.
3. The batteries in thereceivers (also called ‘headsets) last about 8 hours, depending on the environment they are used in.
4. The infoport case system can be set up in 2 minutes. It is just a question of switching on the interpreter’s microphone and handing out the receivers.
5. This wireless receiver system allows complete freedom when moving around during the simultaneous interpreting.
6. Simultaneous interpreting with an infoport case means that you can visit all kinds of sites (factories, offices, museums, outdoor facilities…)
7. When an interpreting booth cannot be installed in a room, the system also allows the conference interpreters to provide “simultaneous translation” for a small group of people, for example, during a business meeting or a technical meeting.
Limitations of the system
Theinterpretersare not isolated in an interpreting booth.
1. If the client is in agreement, it is preferable for the interpreter to be close to the person speaking at any given time to understand him/her better, because the interpreter is not isolated in an interpreting booth. Thismobile interpreting system therefore requires a minimum of discipline on the part of the participants. A room that is too noisy will make it different for the interpreter to understand, and consequently to “translate” well.
2. The number of languages is limited to two: that of the speaker and that spoken by the interpreter. Just imagine the din if several interpreters are speaking at the same time as the speaker…